Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Best Professional Compliment Ever



I have been working in Watts for the last few weeks with Carver Elementary School and the Watts/Willowbrook Boys and Girls Club. 

I was on my way out of the B&G one Friday and was stopped by the computer teacher, Mr. Sean. He formally introduced himself, though we'd been passing each other in the hall for a couple weeks.

"You're the new sub with CYFC, right?"
I nod and smile. (Dude, it's seven, already. All the kids have gone home. End of a long week. Time to clock out...)
"I've been meaning to introduce myself. I'm Sean."
Smile. Nod. "Casey."
"Yeah, I know who you are. The kids have been talking about you." He laughs. Mr. Sean's computer room faces the educational center, where I work.
"Uh-oh." I joke. (But, okay, seriously.... traffic...) I'm about ready to tell him to have a nice weekend. 
Cue: best compliment ever.
"Yeah. They've been telling me all week. 'Hey, Mr. Sean. See that lady over there? (pointing through the window toward where I teach) She a'ight (insert adorable third grade chin-up gesture).'"
Cue: Casey's heart melting. Cue: Affirmation that she's making a difference. Cue: Rejuvenation. Cue: Rays of light, mana from heaven, burning bush, doves, cherubs in neon-colored Boys and Girls Club shirts eating Flaming Hot Cheetos getting red finger prints all over Mr. Sean's keyboard--third grade cherubs with chin-up gestures.

I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment